The Watcher by Brenda Silsbe

illustrated by Alice Priestley 

No major awards

Realistic Fiction 

The Watcher: Silsbe, Brenda, Priestley, Alice: 9781550373844: Amazon.com:  Books

This story was about a boy named George who took in everything with his eyes rather than interacting like most of the other children. One day at lunch, a girl begins to choke. All the students turned to watch, but George was the one who called out for help. At the end of the story, the other children and teachers appreciate George for who he is, a watcher. 
I think this story is suited for children in Pre-K through first grade. It could be used to teach students a life lesson that it is valuable to be attentive and aware of their surroundings. Personally, I would not use this book because it is suited for much younger students than I plan to teach, but if I ever taught younger students I would use this book in my classroom. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting to Know Me!

Frederick by Leo Lionni

Miss Malarkey Doesn't Live in Room 10 by Judy Finchler