Sacagawea by Lise Erdrich

illustrated by Julie Buffalohead

No major awards

Nonfiction Biography 

Sacagawea by Lise Erdrich

This story tells about the life of Sacagawea and her travels with Lewis and Clark. It goes into detail about her capture when she was still a younger girl and then further on as she aids the Corps of Discovery in reaching the Pacific ocean and then returning. It tells about the great relationship she formed with Clark, as well. In the end, Sacagawea and her son have returned to their village and the Corps continue on in their journey home. 


I think this book would be suitable for students in second through fourth grade. I remember around this age is when I first learned about Sacagawea so I think this book would be a great way for students to be introduced to her and her story in a social studies class. The illustrations aided in creating great visuals so students are better able to picture and imagine the places she went. I would use this in my classroom because I think it holds great value in terms of students’ understanding of Native Americans. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting to Know Me!

Frederick by Leo Lionni

Miss Malarkey Doesn't Live in Room 10 by Judy Finchler